Sunday, October 30, 2011

First Canning Experience!

So a couple of weeks ago one of my good friends Rachel invited me to can some peaches with her.  I'll admit, I was a bit intimidated to say the least.  I've never canned in my life!  But, after some reassurance and healthy encouragement from my friend, I went to her house and we canned peaches . . .yum!  It was fun, fairly simple {considering what I had built it up to be}, and it was delicious!  So of course, it was totally worth it and I'm definitely looking forward to my next canning experience.

I forgot to take pictures during the process, but here are the results...


In the end, we both walked away with 16 jars of peaches!  Z was so proud.  I felt very domesticated and accomplished, it was GREAT.  Thanks for the invite Rach, and for teaching me the canning ways!

1 comment:

ptr said...

Wow Natalie, I am SUPER PROUD of you! I used to help my mother can peaches mostly, but we also did cherries, tomatoes, beef, and possibly others(?).

Peaches were actually my favorite because after my mom blanched them lightly, the skins would just slip off, and we cut them in half, so it was pretty quick. And they were so delicious! Not too sweet.

I do feel guilt for not having taught my daughters! Sorry to you and Erica!

I did do a little bit of canning in California, but it was while you were in school...and quite a bit of jam--plum & apricot, since we had the trees in the backyard.

Rachel, thank you!

(Love, Mom)