Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mrs. Fix-it

Alright, the title may be a bit deceiving, but let me explain...  Since Monday morning, Z's truck started making weird and not-so-good noises.  My orders were to not drive the truck.  So I bummed a ride from the ambulance to get to the funeral on Monday.  Yesterday, my orders were to still not drive the truck.  But I had to go to the grocery store for a few crucial items.  And I was getting cabin-fever.  So I risked it and drove the truck.  

The first mile or so, the truck actually didn't sound too bad...but it was short-lived.  Soon enough there was loud squealing and knocking sounds.  I thought the truck might sort of explode, then collapse from exhaustion.  I was too nervous to pull into the nearest car shop in fear of being taken advantage of for my {lack thereof} car knowledge, only to be stuck there because my truck couldn't go on any longer.  I decided the better option would be to pray the truck could make it to my work.

Hallelujah!  I made it to work and walked in as a desperate I-know-nothing-about-cars-so-please-help-me girl.  They felt sympathy and two guys who knew enough about cars to help me, helped.  

Almost three hours and $106 later, the truck had been revived from its despicable state.  The alternator was replaced by a new, shiny, non-squeaky alternator and the tire was patched and filled with air.  Muchas gracias to the fire department!  Honestly, truly they are life savers {referring to our truck in this instance and not necessarily the citizens of this community}.  Not to mention they probably saved me a couple hundred precious bucks.

As a teeny, tiny way to somehow show them my gratitude, I spent a chunk of my morning making cookies with a friend and her baby.  Now once I finish {or start} folding this pile of freshly clean laundry, I'll take a few plates of these cookies over.

Did I mention that throughout this entire process, Z was left in the dark?  I tried calling and would text him updates, but with no response from him at any point, I did the entire process without his input.  Scary, but exciting because I was taking care of "car stuff" all on my own.  Never again.  Luckily, he was thrilled when he found out the good news about his truck!

It turned out to be a good day and was even better with a proud husband.  Hope you enjoy the cookies boyz.

No comments: